Saturday, August 15, 2009

Kessler Diaries 5--Five Funky things I've Ordered Online Since Getting Out of Kessler.

1. Chux. OMG boxes and boxes of them. Who knew there were so many chux in the world? Maybe I should call this "How I learned to relax and love my chux."

2. Several pounds of dutch licorice. Don't ask. It's black, very strong and salty. Not for the faint of heart. I am a life-long dutch licorice addict--blame my dutch parents. Twizzlers and any variety American licorice do not deserve to live.

3. A so called 'fracture bedpan.' I never thought I would learn to relax and love my bedpan either but hey, when ya can't move, that little blue bedpan is my BFF.

4. Jigsaw puzzles. I've ordered a couple of challenging puzzles to while a way the hours when I'm too drugged up to concentrate on anything else and I justcan't watch any more tv. They keep me focused and make me weirdly happy. They're also the only thing my mother will sit down for. I actually ordered them to keep her from tearing down the house and cleaning it up brick by brick. And no, I'm not one of those people who glues their puzzles together and hangs them on the wall. One of the secret delights of doing jigsaw puzzles is destroying them.

5. My arm bike. It's sleek, and quiet and is always there for me. Damn, if I could, I'd marry it. Even though I have regular physical therapy sessions as part of my rehab, it's all very sedate exercise. The arm bike forces me to get in some cardio and work up a good sweat.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my mom is friends with one of the women in your writing group. While in Montclair for a visit, we stopped by the library to see the paintings and writing from your group on display. I read your piece and absolutely LOVED it and had to Google you the minute I got home. I have CP as well and run my own blog as well as do some disability advocacy work in the NYC area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and if you want to contact me, you can comment on my blog or email me at catcrazy92@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete